Here are five bits of knowledge for my sons that I hope one day they will take to heart.
- Write as much and as often as you can. Write to people and write to yourself. Put dates on everything you write. (And the best way to improve your writing is to read.)
- Read as much Shakespeare as you can. Hamlet is great; it really, really is. It might take you years to unpack even small parts of it, but you’ll eventually appreciate it.
- Flowers are always a worthwhile expense. You can give them to anyone, for any reason or no reason, and they will make things a little better.
- Get started as soon as you can. This advice works for any goal. Do not ever regret not starting yet. Just get started now.
- There is nothing in the world – nothing – as important as love. Gather and give as much of it as you possibly can.
See also: Advice