This list of my favorite books has been floating around my site for about a decade now … Originally I had it prefaced with:
“This is my list of the all-time best books ever written. If you get a chance, read at least one of these before you die. The WWW is great fun, TV is great, the radio is always playing, but nothing compares to a good book. Please, do yourself a favor, read. I’ll add more as I come across them, but the truly great are rare.”
I’ll revise that now to simply say that it’s a list of what were my favorite books in the 90s. Some of them I still consider faves. YMMV.
- Becket – Jean Anouilh
- Naked – David Sedaris
- Hamlet – William Shakespeare
- Johnny Tremain – Esther Forbes
- Lake Wobegon Days – Garrison Keillor
- Lempriere’s Dictionary – Lawrence Norfolk
- Love and Garbage – Ivan Klima
- Mosquito Coast – Paul Theroux
- My Side of the Mountain – Jean George
- No One Here Gets Out Alive – Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugarman
- Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption and Survivor Type – Stephen King
- To Have and Have Not – Ernest Hemingway
- The Vampire Lestat – Anne Rice (You must read this book if you ever hope to know anything about me.)
- Physics, Science, Math, Sociology, Psychology, etc.
- Labyrinths of Reason and Prisoner’s Dilemma – William Poundstone
- 13th Gen – Neil Howe and Bill Strauss
- bots – Andrew Leonard
- What Do You Care What Other People Think? – Richard Feynman
- For Shame – the Loss of Common Decency in American Culture and Adcult – James Twitchell
- The Great Mambo Chicken and the Transhuman Condition – Ed Regis
New comments are disabled on this post.