A loaded God complex, cock it and pull it.
The only people who don’t think the entire health insurance system in these United States is irreparably, tragically, insultingly broken are the incredibly healthy and the absurdly wealthy.
Everyone else is screwed, and we know it. And yet nothing changes because the incredibly wealthy make the rules.
What bothers me the most about the recent cyber-hack of the Anthem BlueCross system is not that a company that large and that profitable — one tasked with the care of the most personal data of millions of Americans — did not have adequate security in place to prevent such a thing from happening. That’s […]
Did you know that way, way back in 1963 Alweg Research Corp. — the company that built the Disneyland monorail — offered to give a monorail system to the city of Los Angeles? I’ve ridden both the Disneyland and the Walt Disney World monorails hundreds of times in my life and I’ve wasted thousands of […]
I have about 40,000 photos, which makes iPhoto impossible to use. I don’t mean, “It’s difficult for me to use.” I mean, “I can’t use it at all.” It crashes on me constantly; And on the rare occasions I am able to even open the application, its performance is too unbearably slow and unresponsive to […]
Five Things That Happen in Bathrooms That Annoy Me:
- throwing away a paper towel, missing the trash, and not bothering to pick it up
- squeezing the middle of a tube of toothpaste / not flattening and rolling the tube from the bottom
- toilet paper loaded with the leading edge towards the wall
- bathroom attendants
- not closing the toilet seat lid completely every time
I’ve been thinking lately that there should be some way to flag others on Facebook to remind yourself to ignore them. Of course you can unfriend people; I’m not talking about that. I’m primarily talking about friends of friends. I kind of like the idea of a scarlet M, for moron. Frequently I’ll read a […]
I saw a link to this story in my Twitter feed, and then I saw several people linking to it on Facebook, and I chuckled at the title. The Onion has made me smile on such a consistent basis over the years; I seriously hope the people that work there are paid well, because they […]
For over a year now I’ve had a problem with my contacts on my iPhone. It’s a very strange bug. I get a phone call and if I save the contact to my address book, it appears in my phone correctly under the “recent calls” list, but not in the Contacts app. And it never […]
My tolerance for stupidity, ignorance, and imbeciles is jaw-droppingly lower before about ten o’clock in the morning, which means dealing with my mother’s health care on the East coast from the West coast has been just awful. By about noon every day for the last six months or so I’ve been feeling really, really stabby. […]
Since 1996 — that’s 16 years! — I have been paying $182.26/mo on my federal student loans. The money is directly debited from my checking account each month. A few years ago the amount changed from $182.26/mo to $182.25/mo, and the Department of Education sent me a letter which I had to sign and return […]
Originally posted September 18, 2001 It’s been one week. So this is the first anniversary of sorts. And next week it will be two weeks. And then it will be a month since. And then it will be six months. And then a year. And then five years. And then ten years. When all the […]
Okay, riddle me this, kids: The local NBC affiliate’s nightly news keeps running items about how Los Angeles residents are not returning their census forms. The anchorman reports hyper-specific percentages each evening of how many of us have not responded. On Thursday night he said that less than 72% of the city had completed the […]
My XBox 360 broke near the end of December. I was playing EA Sports NCAA Football 10 at around 3 o’clock in the morning — with the Gators leading 45 – 10 against an unbeaten #2 TCU late in the 3rd quarter of the 2014 BCS Championship Game — when the screen suddenly went black. […]
I can’t stand when people say, “I could care less.” “I could care less,” is one of those little things that drives me absolutely batshit crazy. If you could care less, it means you care. That’s not what you mean when you say that, is it? What you mean is that you don’t care. Someone […]
I was blessed — or cursed, I suppose, depending on your point of view — to have my first “real” programming job in the medical field. I wrote software which managed the processing of human tissue (knees, fascia lata, femurs, etc.) for implantation into human patients. I was very young and very stupid at the […]
Robert Benmosche, new CEO of AIG — which continues to hold $182 billion of the taxpayers’ money, and seems in no hurry to return any — will be paid about $7 million per year. That means typical people, who earn a median $50,000 a year, are being taxed so yet another plutocrat can own an […]
So I’m currently driving a Pontiac G5 while the Mercedes is in the shop. I don’t think I can easily explain the many problems I have with this car. It is a very good example, I think, of why the American auto industry is in the toilet.
Things That Currently Suck at the Encino Bally’s Total Fitness
- They refuse to post a sign at the front desk alerting members when there is no hot water in the locker room showers, which happens several times each week.
- When I joined a year ago there were multiple sets of complete ranges of free-weights. Recently, though, the dumbbells have been steadily disappearing at an alarming rate. It is now almost impossible — even when the gym is not crowded beyond capacity — to find a matched set of the same weight.
- The medicine balls have mysteriously been deemed to be an insurance risk, so you cannot use them to exercise without paying for a personal trainer to assist you with them.
- Although there are always multiple employees aimlessly chatting near the front desk, nobody is ever tasked with policing the free-weight area, so the few weights that are still there are never racked correctly.
- For almost a full year now the staff has ignored all of my pleas to get both of the Concept II ergometers repaired. (The flywheels, footstraps, and monitors are broken on both machines.)