I just finished a 8.50 mi run with a pace of 10'05"/mi with Nike+ Running. http://t.co/NoT6u3fB #nikeplus
— David Vincent Gagne (@davidgagne) October 22, 2012
Eight and a half miles early on a Monday morning feels a lot like an entire marathon. I’m starting to think that the main reason running in the evening seems easier and my pace is much faster is because my muscles are all loose from simply having been awake all day. Jumping out of bed and hitting the road was never an issue for me, but it seems like in the last few months my tendons and ligaments have decided they need stretching.
I guess the next time I run in the morning I’ll take ten minutes and stretch first to see if that helps.
If you’re paying attention to my routes, you’ll notice that I made all sorts of wacky loops today; I strayed dramatically from my standard path in an effort to hit eight miles. I also missed my turn onto Beverly Glen from Olympic because some wackjob driver was looking the wrong way and would have driven into me if I hadn’t been paying attention. Running in Los Angeles requires constant vigilance!
According to my Nike Running iOS app, I was on the road for an hour and twenty-five minutes, burned 1252 calories, and my pace was 10’05″/mile.
You can listen to plenty of songs in eighty-five minutes. Here’s what I heard:
- She Came in Through the Bathroom Window — The Beatles
- Jammin’ Me — Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
- It Ought to Be Easier — Lyle Lovett
- Anything, Anything — Dramarama
- Remember the Name — Fort Minor
- Mr. Chainsaw — Alkaline Trio
- Head On — Pixies
- Maps — Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
- Pennsylvania — Bloodhound Gang
- Laid — James
- Magdalena — Brandon Flowers
- Great American Sharpshooter — Less Than Jake
- Black Betty — Ram Jam
- Less Than You Hoped For — Gunmoll
- Knockout (featuring Nicki Minaj) — Lil Wayne
- St. Jimmy — Green Day
- Monkey Wrench — Foo Fighters
- Big Brown Eyes — Old 97s
- 99 Problems — Jay-Z
- A Worried Man — The Kingston Trio
- Devil with the Blue Dress On / Good Golly Miss Molly — Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels
- Fun, Fun, Fun — The Beach Boys
- Tear You Apart — She Wants Revenge
- Get Free — The Vines